Three new board members elected
Heisey Collectors of America had five outstanding candidates to choose from when they cast ballots in the 2021 election. In the end, the 63 percent of voting members who participated selected Andy Baldus of Maryland, Caleb-Michael Files of the greater Washington DC area, and Frachele Scott of North Carolina to serve four-year terms on the Board of Directors.
Because the continuing Covid-19 pandemic prompted the board to reluctantly cancel the convention for the second straight year, the election was conducted via absentee ballot.
- ~ 366 ballots were mailed to each voting member May 7.
- ~ 13 ballots were mailed to active study clubs May 11.
- ~ 234 ballots were returned to the museum by the June 4 deadline.
This year voters had the benefit of having a significant amount of information on the candidates. In addition to the traditional candidate profiles in Heisey News, candidates also created brief videos in which they responded to questions members had submitted. The videos were posted, together with their profiles, on the HCA website.
“We heard many positive comments about the candidate videos. Some people suggested that we continue doing this in the future because it provides so much more information about the candidates than we usually have,” said Susan Bruah, HCA Membership Clerk.
A number of thanks are in order for the success of this election:
- ~ Thanks to HCA voting members for their outstanding participation in the election.
- ~ Thanks to five candidates who are passionate about Heisey glass, HCA and the museum.
- ~ Thanks to candidates James Warren and David Blair, who, though they were not elected this year, expressed their continuing commitment to HCA, their willingness to help the organization, and their interest in running in the future.
- ~ Brent Guest for his exceptionally efficient work in creating a very helpful 2021 Election section on the HCA website.
- ~ Susan Bruah, HCA Membership Secretary, for her conscientious handling of all the special mailings, numbering and tracking of each ballot, and making sure they were deposited immediately in the locked ballot box.
- ~ Karen Taylo, HCA Treasurer, for her assistance in updating voting member lists and mailing files.
- ~ The Tabulation Committee members of Jay Goletz, Mary Ann Spahr, Marilyn and Dick Smith, and Linda Rodgers.
- ~ Thanks to the Nominations Committee of Mary Cameron, Charlie Wade and Mary Olson.